Moog Sub Phatty Sound Design
Synthway has shared a cool video showing off custom sounds on the Moog Sub Phatty. Also shared some tips and tricks or observations while programming the Moog Sub Phatty. Read below:
Showing some Minitaur inspired sounds on the Sub Phatty while testing some new camera angles. See full description to understand what’s going on.
On the first few minutes I’m just showing some Minitaur inspired sounds. After that, I’m tweaking the Sub Phatty with the limitations of the Minitaur. The presets also share these limitations:
– 2 OSC, saw or square, with VCO reset, 1 octave limit between OSC
– 1 VCF, not using MULTIDRIVE
– 2 ADSR, with shared time for DR
– 1 LFO with triangle wave (not used)
My impression is that the Sub Phatty is capable of delivering some very nice Minitaur sounds when VCO reset is on. The thing just sounds heavy.
– Sometimes I’m tweaking out of the Minitaur possibilities, but I’m skipping these results (you’ll see pretty clearly).
– From what I’ve read, the oscillators on the Sub can sound close to the Minitaur ones, and from my experience, using the volume of up to 9 give better results.
– I’m eventually using OSC2 just to give some harmonics to OSC1 (low volume), but you can still hear some of that detune magic happening.
– Things start to get out of Minitaur’s comfort zone when too much resonance is added (not that it isn’t capable of doing that….).
– Unfortunately I dont have a Minitaur so I can compare both. I have a Little Phatty though, so if you want to hear something specific, please share on the comments.
Thanks for watching!